Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Aaaaannnd We're Back

Well, everyone- after an almost yearlong hiatus I'm happy to say that THE BLOG IS BACK!

It's been an incredibly busy year for me. I spent most of it job hunting for a nice steady day job. That meant moving all the way to Austin, the writers' haven of Texas. I'm very glad to be here and I'm excited about settling down for the long run and getting back to writing.

To that end, I've joined the local RWA chapter here and I'm working on a manuscript. Why romance? Well, because it's fun and the industry is very welcoming towards new writers. Truth be told, all of publishing is welcoming towards new writers, but I grew up with romance books and RWA members have a well deserved reputation for being a training ground for learning how to write solid characterization.

What am I writing now? Well, that was the challenge- settling down and choosing something to write. I am working now on an erotic romance (cover the kiddies' eyes), and I keep kicking around an idea of a paranormal romance.

When I first started writing romance, I naturally gravitated towards historical since I'm trained as a historian. But I think I'm burned out on history, so that manuscript has been put on hold so I can work on genres that interest me more.

I'm interested in writing a sci-fi fantasy novel, and given my interests there will probably be some strong romantic elements in it as well. Oh, and as if I weren't busy enough, I'm really tempted to try my hand and screenwriting. I mean, it is Austin after all....

No comments: